Is it seemingly getting more and more difficult to get around your home? What about getting in and out of the grocery store? Aging can sometimes make it hard for us to admit we need help with our mobility. Don’t be embarrassed! Mobility scooters are popular because they help you maintain your independence and get around—with ease, might I add—in your everyday life.
Purchasing a scooter can seem like a tedious task. How do you do it? Where do you start? Where do you go? It doesn’t have to be that way! That is why the team members at New Visions Medical have put together the top 5 things you should consider when purchasing a scooter.
5 Considerations When Purchasing a Scooter
- Maximum weight capacity. We never want to talk about weight, but it’s essential when it comes to buying a mobility scooter. If you weigh over 250 lbs., then you may need to purchase a more durable scooter to help you get around most efficiently. Every mobility scooter has a maximum weight capacity for optimum performance. You need to make sure you find the right one for you.
- Ease of maneuverability. Where do you plan to use the scooter? If you plan to use the scooter in a supermarket or home, you may need a scooter that has a tighter turning radius. A 3-wheeled scooter is known for having the best turning radius; however, you still want to make sure it fits your other needs, too. When purchasing a scooter, ask the provider to demonstrate the turning capability so you can make sure it fits your needs for your everyday tasks.
- Flexibility and comfortability of arms and seat. If you will be getting in and out of your scooter on a regular basis, you will want arms that rotate back and allow you to get on and off the scooter with ease. In regards to the seat, if you are getting on and off the scooter frequently, the standard seat is should be suitable for your needs. But if you plan to spend the majority of your time on your scooter, consider looking into a more comfortable seat that has extra padding. If you are going to be on your scooter most of your time throughout your day, the last thing you want is to be uncomfortable!
- How easy it will transport. A commonly overlooked factor when purchasing a scooter is how easy it will be to transport. This is a very important element to your scooter purchase and should not be overlooked. How can you transport your scooter with ease? If you plan to travel with your scooter, you want one that can be dismantled easily or one that you can load and take with you without a hassle. This can often be a challenge because you really don’t know how easy it will be to load it into your car until you try! Practice with a scooter at the store before you make your purchase in order to ensure you are getting what you need.
- Where it will be used. Think about how you live day to day. Will you use your scooter in your home or outside more? These are important factors to consider when selecting your scooter. If you will be using over a rough terrain, you should consider a 4-wheeled scooter. But if your scooter will be used mostly indoors or tight spaces in your home, consider looking at the various options for 3-wheeled scooters. These factors all play an important role in the type of scooter you will want to make your day-to-day tasks much simpler.
We know that selecting a mobility scooter is not an easy task, but is one that needs careful consideration in order to properly meet your daily needs. If you think a scooter might be the right choice for you or your loved one, be sure to check out our products page, or give us a call us at 419.678.4979 to discover how New Visions Medical can help you find the right scooter for your needs!