May 27, 2015 in Pain Management
If you find yourself constantly having neck pain, consider trying these 6 quick and simple suggestions to have a happy, healthy neck again.
- Correct your sleep posture. Do not sleep on your stomach. If you still experience neck pain after switching sleeping positions, try using a feather pillow –which more easily allows for the pillow to conform to the shape of your neck.
- Sit up when you watch television. I know, I know. It’s not as comfortable to watch television sitting up as it is lying down, but unfortunately this bad habit can be particularly devastating to your neck muscles. Sit in an upright position FACING the television so that you do not have to strain your neck to turn and watch your favorite show. Believe me, your neck will thank you!
- Wear purses, briefcases or other bags across the body. Avoid carrying purses or other bags on just one shoulder, as it can cause extensive strain on the natural slope of your shoulder. To reduce stress and allow for equal distribution of the weight of your purse or bag, wear carrying cases across the body.
- Stretch your neck properly. It is important that you take the time to properly stretch your neck in order to avoid neck pain. Not only can stretching help to relieve neck pain, but it can also help to strengthen the muscles in your neck and reduce your chance of stiff joints and tight muscles in the future.
- Use a headset instead of a phone. Women are probably more apt to this than men, but never (and I repeat NEVER) hold your phone between your head and shoulder. I know this may be convenient as you are trying to juggle multiple tasks at once in your busy life, but this can cause extensive strain on the muscles in your neck. If you use the phone frequently, try purchasing a headset or Bluetooth device to alleviate the stress on your neck muscles.
- Customize your chair and adjust your posture. If you work at a desk most of the day, make sure the height of your chair is accurate so that your feet are placed firmly on the ground. Sit up straight with your shoulders back, avoiding “slumping” forward (even when you’re tired!). The head of the neck is subject to the curvature of the spine below it, therefore making it vital that you practice good posture at all times. Spend less time with a forward head posture to avoid developing neck and shoulder problems.
And always, seek medical attention if your neck pain is recurring. Our tips above are not meant to replace medical treatment, so if you continue to experience discomfort or pain, please reach out to your healthcare provider as soon as possible.
Here at New Visions, we strive to make sure you are comfortable, happy and as healthy as you can be. We offer many pain products specific to your needs. Give us a call at 419.678.4979 or contact us today to learn how we can help get your joints back to feeling healthy and happy again!