July 16, 2014 in Pain Management
Feel like your head is exploding and you can barely move? You are constantly trying to regroup, breathe deep, and not think that your head hurts. You have too much to do, and no time to waste on a throbbing head. How can you win the battle of the migraine headache? It is never easy and what works for one, may not work for you.
Here are 5 ways to conquer the headache and make your day run more smoothly.
- Massage. Whether you have a professional do it or you rub your temples yourself, a massage can do wonders for an aching head. Just the basic head, neck, and shoulders massage can have you feeling better in minutes. Sometimes you just need to relax the muscles so you can function. You don’t even realize that you are tensed up and not relaxed until you get a massage and feel your body start to unwind and relax.
- Stretching. Who would ever believe that stretching can relieve a headache? Some basic stretches can make you relax and win the headache battle. For example, you move your chin to chest and stretch back, look side to side, or stretch your ear to each shoulder. These simple stretches can reduce or eliminate the tension in your head.
- Aerobic Exercise. Exercise like brisk walking, running, swimming or even biking can stimulate muscles and reduce a headache. There are many times I have felt my head start to pound, and I immediately get up and walk. It is amazing how quickly the nagging pain subsides. According to the National Pain Foundation, aerobic exercise reduces headache pain and keeps you healthier. So when your head starts to throb, go for a quick brisk walk you will feel better, and you might even lose a few pounds.
- Yoga. The combination of breathing exercises, physical postures, and meditation can do wonders for the aching head. You don’t have to be super flexible to start yoga. You start where you are and go from there. It is truly an experience of balancing the mind, body, and spirit to be in sync.
- Relaxation and Meditation. I know many people think relaxation and meditation is goofy. However with deep breathing and concentration, you can really relax your body and mind. Try visualizing your most relaxing location while deep breathing and just meditating on being in that location and unwinding. With visualization and deep breathing, you will be amazed that you really can reduce headache pain. You can even incorporate music that helps you unwind.
Trying to manage headaches to stay healthy and productive can be a challenge. However, there are many options that work, and one will work for you. I have the LaserTouchOne that helps or eliminate headaches as well. By rubbing at the base of the neck and shoulders, I can feel my muscles relax and the pain subsides. It is a great find that is portable, and you can carry it with you in case you are traveling and your head starts to throb, and you just can’t stand up! Stop in today and try the LaserTouchOne and you will feel relief.