September 24, 2014 in Pain Management
Ever woke up and thought you felt you wrestled a large animal in the night? Have you had your back so sore and stiff, you retrace what you did the day before? These are common signs your back is keeping you up at night, and you need to evaluate how you sleep or prepare to sleep, to get a good night’s rest. Chances are these tips will help you alleviate back pain so you can sleep at night.
6 Tips for Alleviating Back Pain
- Put a pillow between your knees. A little fun fact for your back and hips. If you put a pillow between your knees, you take the pressure off your back and hips so you can rest. A very easy task with great results.
- Put a pillow top or egg crate top on your mattress. There are times when you change the cover on your mattress, and you are pleasantly surprised. By adding a foam egg crate to the top of your bed, you can eliminate back pain. This is not the answer for everyone, but if you are not comfortable on your mattress, then give it a shot.
- Keep your neck in a neutral position. By not having your neck twisted and turned awkwardly, you can relax and sleep. When your neck is not neutral, you open the door for not only neck pain, but back pain for the next day. Now is the time to invest in a pillow that eliminates the gap between your neck and back.
- Invest in a firm mattress. The rule in mattress purchasing is you find the firmest mattress and go down a notch or two. You don’t have to have the hardest, firmest bed, but one that is firm is best for your back. Otherwise your back gets bent and feels tired when you wake up, and you have not even started your day!
- Establish a routine for bed. If you are going to bed the same time, or relatively the same time each night, your body responds. Your body likes the system of a routine and muscles will relax so you can rest. A routine on bedtime helps keep your body on track and let it relax so you can sleep and not have a stiff back in the morning.
- Time to meditate. This is the easiest solution with great results. If you spend 5-10 minutes before bed just meditating and relaxing, you will be surprised how great your back will feel in the morning. Meditation gets a bum wrap, but it a very effective tool to keep your back and core healthy.
Tired of not getting rest at night? Maybe you should try one of the techniques above.
The other day we had a mom come in the store who could not stand still because her back hurt badly. We recommended TheraBeads so she could get instant relief. Stop in New Visions Medical in Coldwater today to get help on your back pain.
For the month of September we also have $50.00 off LaserTouchOne and BioFreeze is marked down. Stop by and see what we can do to help you with your pain management.