As you age, you want to make sure you are keeping your overall health at the top of your list of things to do, and that starts with focusing on feeding your body the proper vitamins and nutrients to keep it in tip-top shape. Below we discuss the top 5 superfoods you should be eating.
5 Superfoods for Optimal Health as You Age
- Avocado This yummy item is filled with lots of nutrients and healthy fats, including Omega-6, folate, omega-3, potassium and vitamin B6. Not only does this super fruit lower your cholesterol and blood pressure, but it also aids in fighting against cancer.
- Pomegranate Looking to reduce joint pain, fight viruses, prevent strokes or do all three?! Look no further! Pomegranates are very advantageous in helping you build a healthier lifestyle. With fiber, folate, potassium and vitamins C and K, you can’t go wrong!
- Blueberries Keep your vision top-notch with this healthy superfood. Filled with manganese, lots of fiber, vitamins C and K, and anthocyanin, blueberries are powerful agents in protecting your heart, benefiting eyesight and memory, and even helping combat cancer and diabetes!
- Salmon Build muscle (which will keep you lean and strong)! This superhero food will also help you avoid obesity, reduce inflammation and pain and combat autoimmune disorders. Need more Vitamin B3, B12 and D, and omega-3 in your life? Salmon is your answer! Pair it with ginger–which contains multiple anti-inflammatory properties–to amplify pain relief and provide for a delicious meal!
- Soy and flaxseed. One of the most important organs you should be taking care of as you age is your heart. If you want to pack “double punches” when it comes to heart protection, be sure to incorporate plenty of soy and flaxseed into your daily diet routine. For example, drink soy milk, eat edamame, tofu, and other soy-based products to lower cholesterol and increase the amount of heart healthy fiber in your body! In addition, these heart healthy superfoods provide plenty of fiber and omega-3’s to reduce your risk of heart disease tremendously. Add flaxseed to almost any recipe (without being able to tell) for a multitude of added benefits!
You only get one body, so it’s important that you keep it healthy and protect it as you age. Eating more of this good stuff and cutting out junk foods can not only prevent cancer and protect your heart, but did you know that it can even help you to extend your lifespan? Who doesn’t want more time to spend being active with their grandkids?! Always remember, what you eat not only affects the way you look on the outside, but it also affects the way you look on the inside. You are what you eat, so treat your body the way it should be treated!
Eating right is a great start to reducing pain, but if you are already experiencing excruciating pain, maybe it’s time to explore other options. Check out our products page, or give us a call us at 419.678.4979 to discover how New Visions Medical can help you fight pain and start living a more active, independent and healthy lifestyle.