One of the first things you may find yourself asking is, “Wait. What is the difference between adjustable beds, regular beds and hospital beds?” Well, we have the answer for you! Below we outline the difference between regular, adjustable and hospital beds, as well as which are covered under Medicare and which are not.
- Regular beds – These are your everyday beds which don’t allow for any adjustment on overall height of the bed or the head/foot areas. Regular beds are commonly purchased by those who do not have any health/medical concerns.
- Adjustable beds – Today’s more modern adjustable bed allows the user to elevate both the head and foot areas of the bed in order to find the optimal position for comfort regarding a variety of health considerations. Users can benefit from therapeutic features as well, including pillow top and memory foam mattress additions! These “luxury” beds are considered to be the most comfortable beds on the market.
- Hospital beds -These beds are designed for individuals with more serious medical issues and their caregivers. Not only can these beds adjust at the head and foot, but they can also be raised toward the ceiling or lowered toward the floor, helping ease back pain caregivers may commonly experience.
Discovering the Right Bed for Your Needs
Now, which is the right one for YOU?
- Adjustable beds -If you are not worried about falling out of bed at night and are looking for something that looks like a traditional bed—and comes in multiple mattress size options, allowing you and your spouse to continue to share a bed—an adjustable bed may be the make for you. An adjustable bed can allow you to benefit from the therapeutic features of adjustability without the negative stigma associated with hospital beds. Have a headboard and/or footboard you love and don’t want to get rid of it? No problem! Simply attach it to the base for a seamless transition to your new bed. Likewise, your bed has the ability to come with wired or wireless hand controls, depending on the model chosen. This bed is the perfect solution if you are looking for the health and comfort benefits of adjustability and easy rest. Adjustable beds are not covered by Medicare, but are made to be extremely affordable.
- Hospital beds -If you or a loved one suffers from severe medical issues requiring a bed that can be easily moved or adjusted up and down, a hospital bed may be the correct choice. However, be aware that because these bed types are designed for industrial use, you will notice they have a much bulkier frame, come with side rails and are available ONLY in twin sizes, which does not allow a patient to sleep with their partner. Likewise, the heavy frame makes it extremely difficult to disguise a hospital bed as a traditional flat bed. A plus is that this bed is typically covered under Medicare.
We hope this information helped you get a better idea of which type of bed is the right fit for you. If you are looking to purchase or try an adjustable bed, give the professionals at New Visions Medical Equipment a call at 419.678.4979 or email us at email@example.com today