June 25, 2014 in Pain Management
How many times do you wake up in the morning and feel an ache in your back? You think: What did I do? Did I sleep wrong? Why does this ache feel so intense? Often times pain is something that goes away once you start moving; however, many times it is a sign there is something wrong, and it needs addressed.
How do you know the pain is more that just a muscle strain or ache? Here are 5 signs to alert you something more is wrong.
- Persistent Pain. If the pain keeps you up all night and never lets up, there is a bigger issue. Usually pain subsides when you rest. The pain is probably not life threatening, but nonetheless needs medical attention. If you by chance have a fever, that could be a sign the pain is from an infection and definitely needs medical attention quickly.
- You’re Over 50 or Have a History of Cancer. The body changes as we age, and if you have persistent back pain and you are over 50, it is time to see a medical professional to check it out. It doesn’t hurt to get reassurance you are doing fine or to know if you are not. Also if you have had cancer, you need to consult your doctor as soon as you can.
- You Had a Fall or Traumatic Incident. If you had a recent fall, accident, or blow and you have back pain, it might have been caused by the incident. The impact of a fall may be fine at the time and you walk away, but now later you feel stiff, and it aches nonstop. This can be a problem and especially if you are over 50, merits a visit to the doctor.
- If You Are Having Bowel or Bladder Issues. Back pain with bowel or bladder issues can be a sign that you have Cauda Equine Syndrome, which is a type of back pain that signifies a medical emergency.
- Pain is Shooting Down Your Leg. Shooting pain down your leg can be a sign that you have sciatica and this is caused by damage to one or more spinal structures, which puts pressure on the nerve and irritates the nerve. Each nerve is responsible for movement and sensations to specific areas of the body. So if the nerve is irritated, it usually results in a herniated disk and the result is sciatica.
So maybe next time you wake up and your back is sore, you should think, “Why?” Then if it persists seek medical attention. However, if the back pain is just some muscle soreness from working or exercise the day before, stop by New Visions and see our line of pain relief remedies. We offer FREE demonstrations and have the best price in the area!
How do you relieve back pain?