Are you noticing difficulty getting around your home? How about trying to get in and around the grocery store? As we age, sometimes it is hard to admit we need help with mobility. Mobility scooters are popular to help maintain independence and get around in your everyday life.
However, purchasing a scooter can become a task. How do you do it? Where do you start? Where do you go?
Here are 5 tips to help you make a smart buying decision for your mobility scooter.
- Weight. Yes we never want to talk about weight, but it’s essential when it comes to buying a mobility scooter. If your weight is over 250lbs., then you will need to purchase a more durable scooter to carry you. Every mobility scooter has a maximum weight capacity so you need to make sure you find one that fits you.
- Maneuverability. Where do you plan to use the scooter? If you plan to use the scooter in a supermarket or home, you might need a scooter with a tighter turning radius. Usually a 3-wheeled scooter has the best turning radius, but make sure it fits your other needs as well. When purchasing a scooter, they can demonstrate the turning capability so you can see it fits your daily tasks.
- Arms & Seat. If you are in and out of your scooter frequently you probably want arms that rotate back and allow you to easily get on and off the scooter. As for the seat, if you are just on and off the scooter frequently, then the standard seat is probably fine. However, if you spend a great deal of time on your scooter, you might want a more comfortable seat with extra padding to fit your needs.
- Transportability. One very important factor when purchasing a scooter is how you will transport it. How can you transport it with ease? If you plan to travel with your scooter, you want one that can be dismantled easily or one that you can load and take with you without a hassle. Sometimes this can be a challenge because until you try loading the pieces in your car, you just don’t know how easy it will be. You should practice with a scooter at the store before purchase, to know how easily you or family can load the scooter.
- Where it will be Used. Think about how you live day to day. Will you use your scooter in your home, or outside more? These are important factors to consider when selecting your scooter. If using over a rough terrain frequently, you might want to consider a 4-wheeled scooter. However, if it is mainly for indoor use and needs good maneuverability for tight spaces in your home or store, then you might want to look at the options of a 3-wheeled scooter.
Selecting a mobility scooter is not an easy task, but one that needs careful consideration of how you live your daily life. Is it time to look for a mobility scooter for your comfort and independence to get around where you want to go? We at New Visions offer many models of mobility scooters and would love to help find the right one for your lifestyle.
Stop in and take advantage of $150 off any in-stock scooter for the month of August. We would love to see you and help you get to the places you want to go!