Ever dread working out? I don’t know about you, but this time of year it seems really hard to get motivated to exercise. Sure, we all know the benefits. We know why we should do it, but have you ever taken a closer look at the unique ways we can get our heart pumping on a daily basis?
With the busy lifestyles we are faced with today, it might be a good idea for you to take a break from the normal fitness routines you are used to and give these new ideas a shot. Who knows…you might have a little fun, too!
5 Heart Pumping Alternatives to Your Normal Exercise Routine
1. Hula Hoop: This playground staple is not just for kids! Not only is it inexpensive to purchase, but incorporating a weighted hula hoop into your routine will burn about 200 calories in 30 minutes. In addition, it tones your hips, waist and glutes. Not to mention, it can be a lot of fun to do with your kids, friends or even your senior parents as it is very low impact on the joints!
2. Indoor Surfing Classes. Here in Coldwater, Ohio, we are no where near the beach, but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy the physical benefits of hanging ten! This exercise works by balancing a surfboard on a base while using your core muscles to mimic real surfing movements. You’ll improve your balance, strengthen your core and define muscles without the need for sunblock!
3. Kangaroo Jump Shoes. If you don’t mind looking a little silly while you break some serious sweat, give kangaroo jump shoes a try! They work by adding gravitational pull to your body, which doubles the resistance of your exercise while wearing them. This means you will get a greater workout in half the time! Looking for even more reasons to give this unique option a try? They were originally designed as a way of relieving joint stress for professional athletes!
4. Mini Trampolines. You might have a large trampoline in your backyard. It’s fun to watch the kids bounce around on it, but did you ever think about how that fun activity is actually a great workout? Mini trampolines are taking the fitness world by storm – and for good reason! Aside from the fact that they take up much less space than the traditional trampoline and they can be used in the winter months, keeping your balance while jumping around will improve leg strength and tighten your abs. No gym membership or warm sunny days required!
5. Dancing. Are you a fan of those dance competition shows on TV? I don’t know about you, but I’m always impressed by how amazing those dancers look in their outfits. It’s no surprise that dancing offers amazing weight loss and toning options that can be a lot of fun! Running out of ideas for fun date nights with the hubby? Sign up for dance class! Not only will you both get a good workout, you will have fun and strengthen your relationship. Hard to find time to get away? Crank up the music at home and start your own dance party. The kids will love it and you will get a great workout – it’s a win-win for everyone!